Take a look at @HQNigerianArmy’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/HQNigerianArmy/status/656738555893587972?s=09
The death of the Managing Director, Lekki Free Trade Zone, Alhaji Tajudeen Disu was caused by police bullet, leaders of Okunraye community have claimed
This claim was contained in an affidavit in support of a Fundamental rights suit filed before a Lagos High Court against the police, Directorate of State Security (DSS) and Dangote group.
The leaders who condemned the detention of their community members, alleged that contrary to reports on the incident that occurred on October 12, it was stray bullet from the mobile policemen that hit Disu from behind and killed him instantly.
In the suit filed before Justice Raliatu Adebiyi, brought under Chapter 4 of the 1999 Constitution and Articles 23(1)(4)(5)(6) (7), 12 (1) and 14 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Right (Ratification and Enforcement) Act, 2004, one Alhaji Surajudeen Salami, who deposed to the affidavit recalled that the Lagos State Government, sometimes in 2007, forcefully acquired their land from them.
Joined as plaintiffs in the suit with Salami are Jubriala Balogun, Akibu Razak, Baale Yesiru Amusa (suing for themselves and on behalf of the people of Okunraye Town).
Meanwhile the community also sued the Inspector General of Police, Lagos Police Commissioner, Special Anti-robbery Squad (SARS), the Nigerian Army and Ibeju Lekki Local Government.
Salami said the people of Okunraye had their homes and native buildings on the land, which was also their source of livelihood.
According to him, Disu was killed on a day the community leaders were to meet with Dangote Group, to discuss issues pertaining job provision for eligible community youths in the massive project the company was erecting on their land.
Salami said they had made several attempts to discuss with Dangote management but to no avail, adding that the development forced the youths to barricade the entrance into the project site of Dangote in an attempt to compel the company to discuss with the community.
At about 9am, Salami said he was informed that a large group of mobile policemen had surrounded the entrance to the project and were burning down the barricade as well as other obstruction.
He recalled that the policemen stormed the community on the fateful day and started releasing tear-gas and shooting in the air, adding that at the time the shooting was on-going, the Divisional Police Office in charge of the area was at the palace of the Baale of Okunraye to discuss on how the issue could be resolved.
At that point, Salami said: “Some members then rushed to the Baale’s House to inform him of a mayhem on-going outside and how the policemen had burnt down the barricade. The DPO left Baale’s House to go and confirm the report.
“When I got there, I met the Managing Director of Lekki Free Trade Zone (LFTZ) Limited, Mr Tajudeen Disu; Alhaji Jegede, Chairman of Resettlement Committee, and the Baale of Igiye Community.
“When we were imploring Disu, Alhaji Jegede and the Baale of Igiye Community to stop policemen from shooting because the members of Okunraye Community did not want to fight and only wanted to discuss with Dangote management, the police refused to stop shooting and then a stray bullet hit Mr Disu from behind and he died instantly.”
He said the bullet also hit a young woman from the community and she sustained injury on the arm.
Salami, who said he saw the policeman that pulled the trigger that killed Disu, alleged that the policemen stop shooting when they realised that a stray bullet had killed Disu.
He added that himself and others left the scene immediately to take the injured woman to the hospital, and that by the time they came back, the remains of Disu had been removed from the scene.
In the suit, the plaintiffs want an order directing the respondents to release them unconditionally from custody; an order declaring their arrest and continuous detention as wrongful and a sharp contravention of their fundamental human rights, as well as a declaration that the invasion of their community on October 12, 2015 and their subsequent arrests constituted a threat to life, freedom, private and family life.
They also want a perpetual injunction restraining the defendants from arresting, detaining, harassing, invading Okunraye community or otherwise violating their fundamental human rights.
When the matter came up before Justice Adebiyi on Tuesday, the applicants’ lawyer, Akinlabi Apara informed the court of an ex-parte application and other processes filed in the suit, but the judge said she she would not take any hasty decision in the matter without studying the file.
She said the matter was just brought to her knowledge and that she needed time to understand the issues involved and adjourned to October 21.
A 25-year-old cleaner, Onasanya Opeoluwa was on Tuesday arraigned before a Lagos Magistrates’ Court, Igbosere, for alleged theft of N 5.2million from his employer.
He is standing trial on two counts of conspiracy and stealing under Sections 409 and 285 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos, 2011.
Prosecuting Sergeant Oladejo Balogun told the court that the defendant and others at large committed the alleged offence on October 8, at about 1pm, at 9, Olusegun Aina street, Parkview Estate Ikoyi.
Balogun said that the defendant stole two Wrist watches valued $15,000 USD and $1,200.
He also alleged that the defendant stole two Diamond rings worth eight thousand dollars, as well as shoes, clothes valued N600,000 all belonging to one Prince Adekunle Adeyeba.
“The defendant was employed as a cleaner by the complainant and had only been employed for two months.
“During Sallah celebration he took leave to enable him celebrate Sallah with his family. It was while he was there that the complaint discovered that the defendant had stolen from him.
“Meanwhile the defendant had decided not to come back to the place after the celebration,” said Balogun.
But the defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
He was granted bail by presiding Magistrate, H.O.A. Amos in N500,000 with two sureties in like sum.
The case was adjourned till November 24, for mention.
After several weeks in kidnappers’ den, a Lagos businessman, James Uduji was on Tuesday morning, freed by his abductors.
Uduji, chairman, Comestar Company was kidnapped in the Festac area of the state with $1million (about N250million) ransom demanded for his freedom.
The kidnappers were said to have laid ambush for Uduji along 72 road junction, Seventh avenue at a bad spot on the road where they whisked him away.
It was learnt that despite his family paying N100 million, his abductors refused to free him, insisting that the balance N150 million must be paid or he will be killed.
It could not confirm if the family eventually paid the N50 million demanded.
When contacted, the state command’s spokesman, Joseph Offor, a DSP, confirmed the release.
He however disclosed that the police played no role in it, adding that the force was only informed by the family that Uduji has regained freedom.
Offor said he does not have the details on the issue, adding that he was nor in the know if ransom was paid.
A Lagos Magistrates’ Court, Ebute Meta on Monday remanded in prison custody, dismissed police Corporal, Aremu Museliu, who allegedly killed a nursing mother.
Museliu was dismissed on September 17 by the police high command after he allegedly shot at a tricycle conveying Godwin Ekpo and his family around Isheri-Osun, for refusing to part with N100 bribe.
The bullet which injured Ekpo, who was riding the tricycle, allegedly killed his wife, Comfort Godwin on the spot.
Museliu was subsequently arraigned for murder and grievous harm on september 18, and was remanded in State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) custody in Panti, Yaba.
He was allwged to have shot his victims with his official rifle, AK 47, at Ijegun, at about 8pm, an offence punishable under Sections 221 and 243 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos, 2011.
At the resumed hearing before Magistrate Afolashade Botoku prosecuting Godwin Osuyi kicked against the bail application filed by Museliu’s lawyer.
Delivering her ruling, the Magistrate turned down the bail application and ordered that Museliu be remanded in Prison Custody pending.
She ruled that the case file be duplicated and sent to the Director, Public Prosecution (DPP) for legal advice and adjourned the case till November 25.
Meanwhile, Dr. Joe Odumakin led Women Arise for Change to the court premises to demand justice for Comfort and her family.
Voice of the Masses recalled that Odumakin on October 1, organised a birthday party for the child who was being cuddled by his mother when the bullet hit her, splashing her blood all over him.
Although she did not live to witness her son’s first birthday, Odumakin and her crew ensured the baby had a memorable celebration, tagged “birthday for justice.”
Following the abduction and later release of former Secretary to the Government of the Federation SGF, Chief Olu Falae, by kidnappers, the police have arrested six suspected members of the gang who abducted the chieftain.
Vanguard gathered that the suspects were arrested in Ondo, Ekiti and Niger states respectively.
Although details as to how the suspects were arrested is yet to come in, the suspects were alleged to have been arrested following a tip off on their identities as being members of the gang who abducted the Afenifere chief.
However, recall that barely two weeks after some fulani herdsmen attacked and kidnapped the former Secretary to the Government of the Federation SGF, Chief Olu Falae, some herdsmen have again destroyed the same farmland.
Terrorist group Boko Haram today killed no fewer than 19 persons in Borno State and the Republic of Cameroon.
10 were blown off in an evening explosion in Borno, while the remaining nine were killed in a border community in Cameroon.