Shocking: How Ikorodu Police wanted to shield 14-year old who raped teenager to death

.Suspect blames pornography for his action

Victims of rape have times without number, decried the various injustices meted them by the Nigeria Police and how they feel humiliated each time they go to report a case, but the police seem undeterred.
Even with the Lagos State Domestic Violence Law, LSDVL, the police is yet to understand that they owe it a duty to ensure that rape victims, dead or alive, get justice.
The latest embarrassment is the case of a nine year old (names withheld), who was repeatedly raped to death by a 14 year-old, who blamed pornography for his action.
But for a petition, by the deceased father, Simeon Jigo, to State CID, Panti, Yaba, the Ikorodu Police had planned to sweep the matter under the carpet.
According to the deceased’s father, instead of allowing him make statement at the police station, he was told to only drop his phone number and nothing else was done.
Jigo said: “I went to the Ikorodu Police station to report the case but was surprised when the policemen on duty said I should not write any statement. They only told me to write down my telephone number and said they would call me later.
“After waiting for many days without any call, I wrote a petition and the matter was transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba.”
Thanks to the petition to Panti, the matter is now being investigated although the suspect has been taking out of Lagos State.
Investigators were told how the teenager, Onyi Adimabua allegedly had forceful intercourse with the deceased over 5 times which caused injuries and subsequently led to her death.
Adimabua’s father owns the school the deceased attended before her death.
Jigo, 77, who said the deceased died on October 3, said she opened up about the rape when she started having medical problems.
He said: “Up until my daughter’s death, she was a pupil of Fulfilled Greenland School, Ikorodu, and she was in primary three. One day, she came home and started complaining of pains around her vagina, stomach area. We rushed her to Ikorodu General Hospital.
“A doctor checked her and after conducting some tests on her, told us that my daughter had sustained medical complications due to forced sexual intercourse. I was alarmed by this; so, I had a private discussion with my daughter.
“She told me that it was her school proprietor’s son, Onyi, that had been raping her. The boy had threatened to kill her if she ever told anyone about it,” Nigeria Eye quoted Jigo as saying.
He revealed that after initial treatments, he took his daughter to Arogbo in Ondo State to be taken care of but her condition continued to deteriorate.
A few days after the troubled father travelled to Ondo State, Onyi, accompanied by his parents, also travelled to Ondo State, to apologise to Jigo’s family. The girl, however, was said to have died that very day.
“On getting to the house where my daughter was, we discovered that she was dead. Onyi confessed that he had been raping my daughter prior to her death,’ Jigo said.
It was learnt that after the girl’s demise, irate youths in the area attempted to lynch the 14-year-old boy.
The bereaved father was said to have intervened and reported the matter to a nearby police station, where the teenager was held for safe keeping. The next morning, Onyi and his parents travelled back to Lagos.
The suspect’s parents, in company with a chief in Ikorodu, reportedly visited Jigo when he returned to Lagos. The group were said to have pleaded that the bereaved father should not pursue the case but he refused.
It was however learnt that Onyi had been taken to his father’s hometown in Delta State thereby stalling police investigation.
The teenager’s parents, however described the incident as the handiwork of the devil.
The 14-year-old boy’s father, Andrew Adimabua, said, “I trained that boy in the way of the Lord and expected so much from him. He has confessed to the act; there is nothing to hide. He told me that he learnt about sex by watching blue (pornographic) films.
“We are not hiding him and we will cooperate with the police. On the day the little girl died, he was beaten up and made to stay in the rain for hours.
“As a result, he contracted pneumonia so we sent him home for treatment. When he recovers, he’ll be taken to the police for questioning,” he said.
Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, who confirmed the incident to our correspondent on the telephone, expressed shock at the development.
Braide said Onyi would be re-arrested in the course of investigation.
“It is appalling that a teenager could indulge in such act. The matter is under investigation and the culprit will be re-arrested.”



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s